We’re looking for a mid level frontend engineer to build web applications that help speed up electrification. Publicly available examples include PG&E's Energy Efficiency Marketplace and Con Edison's Fleets Tool.
Compensation and Benefits
We know this section is a pass/fail filter in your job search, so let’s get right to it:
- $100k-125k/yr salary 💰
- Fully remote work environment
- Health insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Macbook provided to run DiffusionBee (oh, and definitely also to do some work on)
- Home office budget
- Flexible vacation policy
- Learning budget
- Something missing? We’re small enough to try to make it work. Let’s chat!
What you’ll do
- Primarily, you’ll build React-based UIs with a high attention to visual detail.
- You’ll be expected to own smaller frontend projects or own major features within large projects, and you’ll have support from our experienced engineers.
- You’ll stretch yourself. We have a lot of frontend work, but you should be eager to jump into backend code when the project needs it. We build backends in Ruby and Python. We tie frontends to the backends using Inertia.js.
- We’ll have your back as you learn new stuff, but sometimes you’ll need to learn on the fly.
How we work
- We are organized into small teams of 2-4 people working on 2-18 month long projects, often in greenfield codebases.
- Engineers typically work on 1 to 2 client projects at a time in order to minimize context switching.
- Engagements often have multiple follow-on phases because we earn our clients’ trust.
- We have an async-first culture with few scheduled meetings and a lot of writing. We value deep work time.
- Sustainable hours. We are highly self-motivated folks, and we work really hard to meet our goals. But we value work life balance and know that fresh minds work better. Long or weekend hours are vanishingly rare here.
- Read more about how we work here! If this resonates, you’ll probably like working with us.
You aren’t a list of bullet points. You are a human with strengths and weaknesses and quirks. So are we! Our goal is to find the overlap between your interests, your strengths, and what our clients need. That said, bullet points are easier to digest in a job post. Here are the skills you’ll need to succeed at Bellawatt:
- Strong project skills. Our small teams are so effective because we work together towards our goals. That means being responsible for hitting deadlines (or having the confidence to gently push back on them!) and helping our product team manage a project.
- Self sufficiency. You should have the ability to manage your own time, unblock yourself and unblock your team. That is not to say you should never get stuck! Part of self sufficiency is knowing when to raise your hand for help, and we like to help each other.
- A writer at heart. You enjoy communicating complex ideas via text. You proofread, even when sharing “rough drafts”. You use writing to clarify your thinking.
- Curious tenacity. If you have to occasionally pull yourself out of a rabbit hole because a problem just won’t let go of your curiosity, then you’ll fit in here.
How to Apply
We are excited to add a new colleague! And we won’t waste your time - our interview process is straightforward:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your resume and/or link to your LinkedIn profile.
- An Informal Interview (30 min) where we get to know each other and discuss expectations. If there’s mutual interest, we’ll ask you for a recent writing sample (something you’ve written previously about a complicated technical topic) and send a couple questions for you to answer in writing.
- A Technical Interview (2 hours) where we code together in VSCode’s LiveShare. We will be collaboratively looking at problems inspired by things we actually work on – no bubble sorts or leetcode trick questions. You should have a clear sense of whether you’ll like working with us after we wrap up.
- A Case Study (90 min) that seeks to simulate what it would be like for us to actually work together on a project, including a Product team member.
- We’ll send you an offer within a week.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/bellawatt-mid-level-frontend-web-developer