Mechanical Orchard is a new kind of software consultancy. We build new applications and replace legacy systems for a wide range of customers, spanning from seed stage startups to the Fortune 500, but it doesn’t end there. We run what we build, and build what we run. Our customers focus on their business, rather than manage all the cost, complexity, and risk that comes with operating production systems.
Our background in software development and the impact on the industry is well known, and we've helped write the book on XP and other effective agile practices. We believe in the durable principles behind agile, and embrace the power of cross-functional teams, collective ownership, test driven development, short feedback loops, and continuous improvement.
We are Generous, Ethical, Effective, and Kind.
As a Software Engineer at Mechanical Orchard, you will be expected to:
- Work as part of small, cross functional XP teams building production applications for customers or for Mechanical Orchard using Elixir or other modern programming languages
- Pair program with other engineers and collaborate closely with other roles such as product managers and designers
- Apply and evolve XP engineering practices such pair programming, test-driven development, refactoring, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Operate and support production applications as a team in the context of the agile DevOps model
- Help onboard client developers and/or new Mechanical Orchard team members with practices and techniques
- Lead and collaborate on technical discovery efforts for existing customer systems including legacy applications
- Continuously learn about relevant emerging technologies or practices and foster the growth of the organization through mentorship, tech talks, and other means
The ideal candidate has worked as a software engineer in a professional, team based environment, with some exposure or demonstrated passion for XP practices such as pair programming and test driven development.
They are comfortable as a full stack developer, and have expertise in at least one modern programming language and application framework.
Strong communication and collaboration skills as well as empathy are essential for working closely with the development team, customers, and others at Mechanical Orchard.
Mechanical Orchard, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Mechanical Orchard, Inc. are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. encourages applicants of all ages. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
We look forward to reviewing your application. Thanks!
Apply for this job