Mechanical Orchard is a fast-growing startup that takes a fresh view on old problems. We replace legacy computing systems for the Global 2000, with a focus on mitigating risk and creating a genuinely solid foundation for innovating and adapting.
Our background in software development and the impact on the industry is well known, and we've literally helped write the book on XP and other impactful agile practices. We’re applying the same thoughtfulness and rigor in weaving AI into everything we do. We believe in the durable principles behind agile, and embrace the power of cross-functional teams, collective ownership, test driven development, short feedback loops, and continuous improvement.
We are Generous, Ethical, Effective, and Kind.
Generative AI plays an important role for us, in particular around analysis and reverse engineering of legacy systems. We’re exploring ways that generative AI and other complementary technologies can accelerate our mainframe modernization delivery, with an eye to developing internal tools and external products that complement our services offerings.
We’re looking for an experienced product manager to join our R&D team. In this role, you will be expected to:
- Work as part of a balanced product team, collaborating with engineers, researchers, product designers, and other roles to develop solutions for internal teams and external customers
- Engage closely with client delivery teams, external customers, and business stakeholders to understand their needs, particularly in the context of mainframe modernization, and leveraging this understanding to shape the product strategy and inform decision-making
- Research on-going developments in the generative AI space and work closely with the R&D applied AI team to identify ways that these developments can be applied to solving customer problems
- Use lean startup and lean UX principles to develop and test product ideas quickly and efficiently
- Work in partnership with product designer(s) to conduct user research, develop experiments, design solutions, validate design effectiveness, and iterate on designs based on qualitative and quantitative feedback from users, customers, and the development team
- Manage a fine grained backlog that drives incremental progress in terms of learning and value
Organize and facilitate regular project planning meetings, brainstorming sessions, team retrospectives, and other agile team ceremonies
- Monitor, analyze, and discern learnings from qualitative and quantitative data
- Apply and advocate for modern product practices including lean / lean UX and user centered design
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Proven experience as a software product manager, with experience across the entire product lifecycle, and a deep understanding of product management principles
- Some exposure to ML/AI, with an understanding of how generative AI and language models work
- Experience in an R&D environment, demonstrating the ability to navigate exploratory and innovative technology domains
Strong communication and collaboration skills as well as empathy are essential for working closely with the development team, customers, and others at Mechanical Orchard.
This is a full time, remote position, and we’re looking for candidates in the US Eastern, US Central, or European time zones.
Occasional travel may be required for customer visits or team gatherings.
Mechanical Orchard, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Mechanical Orchard, Inc. are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. encourages applicants of all ages. Mechanical Orchard, Inc. will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.
We look forward to reviewing your application. Thanks!