This is an exciting opportunity to work on making Ubuntu the most secure out-of-the-box operating system in the world. You will work alongside fantastic security professionals already onboard at Canonical, and share your time between contributing technically, and managing team members and projects.
The technologies worked on by the security technology team include secureboot, disk encryption, confidential computing, kernel access control, and code integrity. These are developed alongside our partners in other Canonical Engineering teams (Kernel, Snapd, Foundations), the upstream open source community, and our business partners.
As an engineering manager at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the people you support: ensuring that they are growing as engineers, doing valuable work, and generally having a great time at Canonical. As a lead for strong engineers, technical leadership and a solid background in software security is a must, so that you're able to challenge and grow your team members. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
Location: This is a Globally remote roleKey responsibilities
- Build and lead a globally distributed team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs
- Provide technical thought leadership for your team and others around Canonical
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company values
- Exceptional software engineering skills - design, document, plan, execute
- Demonstrated experience in managing or leading software engineering teams
- Demonstrated understanding in one or more of the following areas:
- Secureboot or other UEFI capabilities
- Code integrity primitives such as dm-verity
- AppArmor, SELinux or other MAC modules
- Confidential computing TEEs (Intel SGX, AMD SEV, arm TrustZone or similar)
- WIllingness to travel up to 4 times a year for internal events
Your base pay will depend on various factors including your geographical location, level of experience, knowledge and skills. In addition to the benefits above, certain roles are also eligible for additional benefits and rewards including annual bonuses and sales incentives based on revenue or utilisation. Our compensation philosophy is to ensure equity right across our global workforce.
In addition to a competitive base pay, we provide all team members with additional benefits, which reflect our values and ideals. Please note that additional benefits may apply depending on the work location and, for more information on these, please ask your Talent Partner.
- Fully remote working environment - we’ve been working remotely since 2004!
- Personal learning and development budget of 2,000USD per annum
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual holiday leave
- Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Opportunity to travel to new locations to meet colleagues at ‘sprints’
- Priority Pass for travel and travel upgrades for long haul company events
Canonical is a pioneering tech firm that is at the forefront of the global move to open source. As the company that publishes Ubuntu, one of the most important open source projects and the platform for AI, IoT and the cloud, we are changing the world on a daily basis. We recruit on a global basis
and set a very high standard for people joining the company. We expect excellence - in order to succeed, we need to be the best at what we do.
Canonical has been a remote-first company since its inception in 2004. Work at Canonical is a step into the future, and will challenge you to think differently, work smarter, learn new skills, and raise your game. Canonical provides a unique window into the world of 21st-century digital business.
We are proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. Diversity of experience, perspectives, and background create a better work environment and better products. Whatever your identity, we will give your application fair consideration.